Skip to main content

Knitting for Movies

I never really thought about it, but handmade knitted items could be a hot item in movies and especially so if the movie is set in the past.  So imagine my happiness when I found out that War Horse actually hired someone in England to knit the scarves, mittens, and sweaters for the German army.  All those extras got to wear handmade/homemade knitwear from the needles of one Mrs. Jane Whatley from Send, UK.

An Army from War Horse
Check out her story here.  As you read the article you'll see how Jane got into the business of knitting for movies. Of course, it is not a full-time job but it appears when the request comes in, knitting becomes more than full-time work to complete the projects on time.

The most devastating thing about this story to me is that even Jane didn't recognize her own work in the movie.  All except one sweater were "weathered" (aka, dropped in the mud and/or tattered) to make them look like the German soliders were actually fighting in WWI.  Should you go see this movie be sure to keep an eye out for the knitwear.  (I haven't decided if I will actually go see it or not.  These types of story generally cause me sleepless nights rather than entertain me.)

Maybe someday I'll knit for movies, or maybe I can just dream about it.  It would to fun to see my work up on the big screen, even if I don't recognize my work as the project I finished.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Usage II: Crochet vs. Knit

All four swatches were made.  Each is 6.25" or 15.875 cm square; each prepared with the same sized yarn and needles or hook.  It took 25 stitches to get the appropriate width for the knit swatches and only 20 stitches for both of the crocheted squares.  That already says something, but I'll get to it in a minute.  (Don't know what I'm talking about here?  Check out this post first.) Unfortunately, you'll just have to trust me that four swatches were prepared and that they were all the same size.  In the excitement to get to measuring and weighing of the swatches, no photographic evidence was taken.  Luckily for me the results of this research doesn't have to be reviewed by a jury of my peer.  This blog post will be the sum and total of where this information is published. The remains of my four swatches What can be shared, however, are the balls of yarn rewound after the weighing and measuring was completed.  You will note the size of the balls vary.